Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Second City in the News - Again.

You'd think I had a bad case of sour grapes when it was almost with delight that I read (National Post: Second City puts Brakes on Touring Company) that Second City Toronto is folding the Touring Company.

By George, I think they've got it!

I just finished part of their training program. Coincidentally, just before I started their Training Program, the newspaper announced that Second City Toronto had filed for bankruptcy protection. At least I got great use of my money.

Well, Executive Producers Alexander and Schuller, despite your excuses about SARS and failing tourism; Equity Actors fol-de-rol; and "Second City's name losing it's cachet" (???); whatever else you dreg up from Excuse-O-Mat; the bottom line is that the Touring shows were

JUST NOT FUNNY!

Honestly! Although it was a few years ago, I volunteer at our local community theatre. I was greatly excited about the Second City show, and double-grovelled to be able to volunteer for it. But, after two excessively long, long, long forms with a predictable punchline, antiquated political humour (Joe Clark isn't the PM, guys!) even I ended up in the concession booth, gossiping with my buddies, for the rest of your performance.

Sorry, Touring Coompany guys, you just sucked. It was THAT bad.

Never saw you coming back or being re-booked, either. And I don't think it's because we were a "bad" audience. We were polite (we're Canadian too). All of 50 kilometres north of the Mainstage.

Speaking of which, don't hand me that garbage about rebuilding without government help. Yes, this is Canada, and that's one thing this country doesn't get - the long arm of the government should NOT be involved with the arts. The minute it is, is the minute you lose your freedom of expression. Don't get me going on cultural regulation.

What the market is saying to you, boys and girls, is that you have to be viable all by yourselves. And if they're not coming, you're not good enough.

..................

Look, I had one of the best years of Sundays I ever had. I had no aspirations to go on further because I have a career I love. But for the sake of my friends and colleagues who do want to continue (and who are); get funny! It's been a long long time since Mike Myers graced these stages and he probably did it his own way anyway.

Oh, and answer your emails.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nug said...

I agree, a few years ago the Touring Company wasn't funny. And that Touring Company cost us a lot of gigs. But, after a few years and a lot of turnover, we've got two award-winning comics, a former Broadway actress, and a troupe with a high comedy-quotient... or... HAD a troupe...

As far as the government help thing, the Mirvishes just got a TON of money from the government to rebuild after SARS. Mr. Alexander's point in the paper was that he rebuilt without taxpayer's money. If you really beleive that the government should stay out af the arts, take it up with the Mirvishes.

We are good enough, but it's a constant battle for the audience dollar against the preconceptions of the previous show. You didn't like the last show you saw, so you won't see 'that show' again, even if the cast has changed.

November 10, 2005 10:10 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Many thanks for rounding out the point of view! I don't have anything against the touring company - my instructors were in it at one point or another and I know that's where some of my friends and collegues had hoped to audition for. I just remember the huge disappointment I had felt when I went home from their show a few years ago. And yes, it WOULD be difficult to regain market confidence after that - Ontario wines are still suffering from the Jam-Grape cartoony-label days, VQA and all.

Government funding and the arts is a whole kettle of problems and worth some thoughtful analysis. I'd be hard-pressed to say "no" to "free" money, especially if it was a lot of it. But it does bring up the question of party-line at some point, and the question gets difficult when the creative urge needs to bite the hand that feeds it. Should private interests be even asking for taxpayer's money?

Mr Alexander's point about re-building without taxpayers money is an interesting one, considering that huge projects in Vegas (the monorail, fr'instance) are built without taxpayers money too. Am I supposed to feel sorry or proud of it?

The new Second City theatre is a nice one, and I think the money well spent. The last Mainstage show I saw WAS funny, and I am looking forward to seeing the Touring Co. back on the road again, even if it's because I promised a few people I'd be forking out coin to see them onstage.

November 11, 2005 10:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares