Sunday, January 30, 2005

Second City Sundays

After a three week break, it was simply glorious to get back to improv class - this business of doing laundry and hosting teenaged Magic tournaments was way too much the reality check.

The first session was truly tremendous. Buddy Tim and I leave our respective loved ones and go to the big city and gossip and explore and be ourselves. Tim's like that - he's the kind of guy you can be transparent with because he's so completely genuine. I know if I mutter my deepest darkest whatevers, they're safe with him, because tomorrow, I just might change my mind.

There's a lot to be said for turning the music off on longer car rides and just talk to the person beside you.

And as an extra special treat, we go exploring (yeah for the point 'n' shoot) because I really don't know the city as well as I could (having spent most of my life hating Toronto the Good, mostly because of hockey allegiances and my being a Habs fan). You can't get to know a place if you hate it without having seen it, and I can't very well say I hate it any more. Just their hockey team, and the big-city centricity you get in any big city. (New York City was nasty for that)

Today's treat was David Mirvish Art Books where I had to find Louie Palu's Industrial Cathedrals of the North because Andrew (Work Songs) recommended it. And since I quite like Andrew's work, it stands to reason....

Well, it cost me an extra $120 today because this is an ART bookstore and tons of stuff was *on sale*, and well, um....I've got some great reading after I finish my improv homework.

(I have to read fairy tales all week. I'll be a far better teacher, if nothing else, at the end of this)

And of course, more pictures with the new digital camera to play with (if I ever get off the computer to do some non-digital artwork).

Did I mention it was sunny and just below zero today? Not cold enough for any southern Ontarian to even think about whining over. The days are getting noticeably longer too.



And how good was it to see most of the guys from our first class? The "new" folk from the other classes are going to make a good mix and a working ensemble, I think. And how fucking stupid I felt TWICE during class? Our new instructor says "go out on a limb..." "I want you to fail..."

Well, I did and I don't like it.

(Note to self: pay attention to physicalities. What establishes place at the start of the story?)



So much for trying so very hard to be perfect. This may end up being a learning experience after all (instead of a rather amusing way to spend a Sunday)

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim Norton - The Acting Artist said...

Awww...yer makin' me blush! {grin}.

I look forward to our Sundays just as much as you do. Here's to many more!

January 31, 2005 4:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares