Sunday, September 18, 2005

Pumped!


I am on SUCH a high! Meeting up recently with some photographers and a videographer whose work I very much respect inspired my artwork this week. I have the perfect job for me (I teach art to kids) and it's only part time and I can afford to travel. Had a great summer in California, Nevada and Arisona. And tonight, I just booked myself (tentatively) for a solo exhibit in January, if all goes well.

But I was as silly and as flustered and as blonde tonight as I volunteered at the town's theatre...I got to meet my Improv inspiration Colin Mochrie of Whose Line Is it Anyway; his wife, Debra McGrath and their son Luke. Deb and 4 other brilliant Canadian female comediens - Robin Duke (SNL); Jayne Eastwood, one of the founders of Second City Toronto; Kathy Greenwood, Second City and Whose Line and Teresa Pavlinek - Second City and History Bites. Their show, Women Fully Clothed, hit a very sympathetic chord for MY age group, WITHOUT falling into the Belittling Men trap. Very crisp and very nicely timed and paced. A most genuine standing O.

I was an idiot in front of Colin who smiled warmly with those wonderful crinkles around his eyes. Debra is a tad taller than I am and had a roughish voice tonight (which is a lot like mine all the time) She has an immediate warmth, and seemed as delighted as anything when I used part their "fan sketch" while she signed my playbill. Turns out their son is the same age as my son, and we had a little chat about school and TV and stuff - he seemed kinda bored by it all but was holding up well. I asked him what the wierdest question he'd ever had 'cuz of famous parents (like Cujo's son gets at our school).

When I was just running into the theatre, fashionably late for my volunteer duties, I thought that the person who looked so familiar must have been one of my kids' moms. Twenty minutes later, KA-CHING! She's the reason I volunteered tonight!

I'm glad that I got a chance to laugh with every one of them for as long as it takes to get an autograph - they all seemed to really enjoy my gushing and gooning - but I hope they recognized what great pleasure they have shared. I'm really glad they were all so personable. They donated their flowers to the volunteers and I got to bring home an untouched cheese plate.


I also met the President of Sobeys Ontario, (the guy who provided the cheese plates and the sandwiches in the first place) and said something stupid about shopping at Dominion too.

I'm not done yet.

AND I caught up with girlfriend-aquaintance Mikaleena, who's into vintage clothing and belly dancing. She's back from Japan and a gorgeous, warm, vibrant woman. She's dating a new guy - and yes! I know him too - as a fellow artist!

When I got home, I burst through the door wth excitement - I'd been thing all night how much Jamie would have liked to have been there - to discover our dog has been skunk-sprayed for the second time in a fortnight - the house reeks, but hey! I missed a disaster, didn't I?

Now, I've got artwork to do, and a show to write.....did I mention I got new clothes today too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares